Thursday, October 1, 2015

TOPIC 1

TOPIC 1: ABOUT YOU -- Who's who in Media and Society this term:
  • Share a bit about yourself (major, career goal, why at LBCC ...)
    I am currently a junior at Scio High School, but I'm hoping to graduate from high school with my AA this spring. From there I'd like to get an internship in the fashion industry in New York and go to school at the Fashion Institute of Technology.
  • What are you most interested in learning about the media?
I have never really been very good at following current events. This term I'd really like to improve my knowledge of what's going on in the world around me. 

  • Tell us something you are passionate about outside of college (e.g. I'm a runner. This past year I ran two relays -- Hood to Coast and Wild Rogue; and two half marathons ...)
    I really enjoy designing clothes and cooking! This summer I waitressed at The Cowboy Dinner Tree where the menu consists of a choice between a whole chicken or a 32oz steak. I also cooked for a farm crew which was really enjoyable. Tonight I'm showing eight looks at Portland Fashion Week, so I have also been working hard at getting ready for that. Annddddd I really like writing! :)


    TOPIC 2: ONLINE GAMING -- Let’s discuss “Second Skin”:

    • What is your reaction to what you've seen so far in "Second Skin"?
      I think it was really sad to see how much people are willing to give up in their lives in order to escape their reality and go to an imaginary world. I think it's like any addiction though. I was never allowed to have video games when I was a kid because if I had time to "waste" on video games, my dad thought I may as well be out working on the farm. I think he had a pretty good point.

    • Are the experiences shown in the video new to you or can you relate to the people in the movie? Cite an example.
      I can totally relate to wanting to find an escape. Sometimes life can be so overwhelming that it's nice to just get away for a while. I could also relate to the idea that even if you're not cool in real life, you can go in the video game and have an avatar that is "beautiful" or "strong" or what not. I can see how that would be appealing.

    • What, if any, online games do you play, how many hours do you play them, and why do you play those particular games?
    I have never played video games. I do, however, use social media a lot. I spend more time scrolling through instagram and pinterest than I should... I usually check up on stuff before I go to bed, but sometimes I look at the time can can't believe how late it is! I've been trying to shut my phone off right at 8:00 now so I can do my nightly routine distraction-free.

    2 comments:

    1. Katherine,
      Wow, only a junior in high school and your busy taking college classes? You already have plans of going to the Fashion Institute of Technology and know what you want to do with your life... that is way more than I knew at 16 or 17 years old. You sound very organized, for there are some 30 year old adults that still don't know what they want to do. Great first post!

      ReplyDelete