Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Week 3 Forum

TOPIC 1:

I decided to look up my blender on social media and see how its brand, Ninja, is using social media. The first thing I took notice of was that they used their logo as their profile picture, not a photo of a physical product. I think that is smart because it shows that their brand encompasses so much more. 

The next thing that I saw right away was how engaged they are with their consumers. They had hundreds of tweets responding to posts that just average Sallys had posted. They were asking them how they use their products and also giving recommendations. 

There was one guy who posted about his brand new slow cooker breaking down on him and they responded right away trying to solve the problem. I thought that was really cool. Besides that, they post a lot of tutorials and photos along with links

to recipes and blogs that can inspire the consumer. I think if you had a blender and really liked it, and used a lot of their recipes, you would want to buy their other products so you could try the other ninja recipes too. They have a lot of relatable posts that aren't so cluttered and annoying as some brands. 

I think their target audience is probably middle-aged people. They had ads targeting people with kids and people that were really into fitness. I think that responding to the tweets of the consumers at that age is genius because I don't think a lot of other brands do that so much, ad it could really draw the consumers into the brand. 

Social media has a lot of food-related stuff on it. I think that even younger people could relate to most of their posts because recipes are something that doesn't always have an age zone.



 I thought what Jeff Jarvis said about letting your consumers tell you what your product means to them is gold. That concept is what stood out to me the most when I looked up the Ninja brand. 

They were asking their consumers what THEY were doing with the company's products, and it seems like it was really working. People want to talk about themselves and share their experiences. Using that to your advantage just makes sense.





TOPIC 2:



My Family :)

I just watched an ad on Facebook that was created for the Super Bowl, called "Farmer" advertising Dodge Trucks. The ad was very eloquently worded. It's a two-minute poem that unfolds this great narrative about the romanticism behind "The Farmer." I got goosebumps watching it, because it really hit me so close to home. It made me feel pride for my country and pride for my family tradition. 

I didn't even know what it was selling until the very end when it just flashed a Dodge Truck across the screen, but I really thought it was genius. I honestly couldn't care less about cars or car-brands, but now whenever I see a Dodge, I associate it with that feeling of pride that the short ad made me feel, and I know tat's exactly what they wanted. I'm not sure what a city-person would get out of the ad, but I know it really worked on me. I think that regardless of where you're from this ad could be pretty effective for adults and some teens even.

An add that really didn't do it for me was advertising First4Lawyers, which I know nothing about, first of all (no pun intended). This guy gets this letter in the mail telling him he's cleared and that justice has been achieved, but then he starts dancing and frolicking about to "I can't Fight This Feeling Anymore."The sad thing is that the ad is so cheaply done that they don't even play the real version of the song. 

I think they were probably targeting middle-lower class people.


It has a nice little narrative that goes with it, and the videography isn't bad, but the stupidity of the actor is all I could really focus on. I think they might have been trying to make you relate to the guys emotions too, but it was lacking depth. Even the company name doesn't sound legit. I just didn't feel convinced.




Here are some other ads I like!


 

1 comment:

  1. Katherine,
    Dude, the Ninja rocks! It definitely does its share of marketing and I cant lie, it worked on me. The thing that sold me was the fact that you can put drywall screws in it and it wont break. Obviously, I don't plan on blending drywall screws in it, but it is nice to know that the product wont break which was one of Jarvis' first principles, to make a great product.

    ReplyDelete