Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Week 2 -- Kate Miles

TOPIC 1:

Social Media

If you were to scroll through all the people I follow on social media, it wouldn't take long before you found out they're as eclectic as my taste in music. I have everything from fashion to farming in my feeds, but I love that! Here are three examples of who I have in my feed and why:
1. I follow Elle Saab on Pinterest because he is my favorite fashion designer and I am always very inspired by his work.
2. I follow Sarah Dobson on Pinterest because she pins a lot of healthy, fusion-style, recipes that I really like trying out. 3. I follow FFA on Facebook because they are always sharing really cool stories about young entrepreneurs and exciting things that are going on in agriculture right now.


On Monday one of my fashion-designer friends on Facebook posted:

"Happy Monday to everyone! Keep your head up and know that you will get through this. Life is beautiful and we need to appreciate the little things. God is good."

That simple little quote pretty much made my whole day. Most people post about how miserable life is, but here this guy is taking the time to post something positive without being afraid that people were going to think he was lame or something. It was just a really nice reminder of how good things really are.



I feel like social media, for my generation, is a great tool for strengthening democracy for several reasons. In high school we get a brief textbook-explanation of what the government is all about, and the teacher usually tries to talk about some current events, but for most kids all of that is lost to "I wonder why Jenny and Dean broke up?" or other more "interesting" things. 

I think that what kids are seeing in social media about all of that has had a more interesting spin put on it that kids can understand, relate to, and even participate in. I think that it's hard to always get both sides of the story from social media, but I think kids my age are at least getting interested in things that they might have blurred out together if they weren't getting it from social media.  




TOPIC 2: 

WWGD?
I was completely blown away that one little blog post could cause o much trouble! The DELL HELL Jarvis talked about in his book was shocking. I write blogposts all the time, but in my mind it's just my grandma and the old neighbor lady reading my thoughts. It was eye-opening for me to see how many people he reached with his writing, and the impact it had on such a massive company. I also really appreciated the way he handled the situation once he saw what he had actually done. He really stood for everything he said without trying to go back and apologize, and I think that really took courage. 

Reading about his experience made me realize that what you put on the internet can go a lot farther than you would think. When I am writing my blogposts or advertising my business on social media, I think that's a good thing to have in the back of my mind.
Jeff Jarvis Question:
"We need a seal of approval for the Internet."

I agree with the author's take on the argument because one of the great things about the internet is the freedom that it gives people. If you want to find something you can trust it's not that hard to find good sources! I think that in many ways there are "seals of approval" on several pages already, like who they've been published by, or whether they are a .com or a .org. Sometimes I don't want a "seal" though. Sometimes I want to hear the opinion of the 32 year old blogger that lives in his mom's basement, and sometimes I need The New York Times to tell me instead. I like having the choice. 


For example, when I'm trying to do research on what's trending in the fashion industry right now, I don't need every fashion blog to have a shiny stamp to make their thoughts valid. I'm looking for honest opinions from honest everyday people. I also check out sites like VOGUE and Glamour that do seem to have that shiny seal. I think there's a time for all that, but I don't think it's always necessary.



Current Event: 
http://positivenews.org.uk/2015/culture/positivetravel/18614/new-disability-travel-site-making-exploring-accessible-for-all/





No comments:

Post a Comment