Thursday, October 29, 2015

Week 5 Blog Forum

TOPIC 1: FIRST AMENDMENT, COPYRIGHT AND FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

First Amendment: 

I was having a sleepover with a friend of mine from Central Oregon when we got the call that my brother, Andrew, had been in a horrific accident. It was the beginning of spring break, so Andrew was traveling home from Scio to work on the farm. 

The roads were icy, and my brother lost control of his Ford Ranger, sending his vehicle into a head-on collision with a woman in her early fifties. She wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and was killed instantly. My 17 year old brother, trying to keep good grades, do well in sports, and operate the farm after the loss of our dad not long before, now had this trauma on his shoulders. 

The next morning there were full stories in several papers, providing his name, where he lived, and what had happened like he was some kind of murderer. It was weeks before I could bump into someone without them bringing the story up. At school kids would come up to me and say "Is your brother the guy that killed that old lady?" If that's how people were talking to me, I can't imagine what Andrew had said to him.

I think it was really unfair of the papers to include his information the way that they did. He was still just a kid. I acknowledge the fact that knowing the truth is important, but what difference does it make who, exactly, the minor in the accident was? Maybe they could have included some basics such as, "a minor from Scio," or something along those lines. My family was still dealing with my dad's accident, so having Andrew's broadcasted that way was extremely difficult for all of us. 

"RiP! A Remix Manifesto" 

When we were watching the video, I was probably most surprised that they were even aloud to make it. That guy had to really have some guts! I never thought about how many different songs could go into a remix, kind of like how many copyrighted magazine photos could go into a collage. 

When I'm designing a dress, I usually take two or three basic store-bought patterns and merge them together, slicing and taping and adding where needed. I feel like that's kind of what these people are doing with the remixes. My dress can turn out a million times more different than any of the patterns, and their remix can turn out a million times different than an original song, but both for me, and the remixer, without a solid base we are going to have a struggle.

I really don't know how I would feel about people using my songs for mixes. Jeff Jarvis would say you should because, duh, free advertising! And that's great! It would be cool to see that your art is inspiring others, but at the same time, I have to think about how I would feel if someone started knocking off my dresses. It's a tough thing to wrap your mind around.

How do you know when to draw the line? It's like most things in life. The video talks about trying to keep a balance between the artists and the public. It sounds easy enough, but everyone has a different scale in their minds. How much is too much?



TOPIC 2: BLOG RESPONSES 

I responded to Merina's blog because, you must face it, Rob, it was cute! Hail cat videos and sappy love stories! 


My comment: 


"Yay for sappy love stories! My grandpa picked out my grandma when he was six... he STILL has a picture of her in his wallet from first grade when he clipped her photo out of the yearbook. And then there's my mom and dad that were high school sweethearts, so I've always been a hopeless romantic! 

This was such a fun post to read! The humor and the formatting really reflected the light, fluffy feel of the story. Telling the guys to take notes was totally relevant by the way... They could learn a thing or two! :) 

Extra was so brilliant to create a little film that's more than just an ad. It's a story! It keeps us begging for more! Like your friends demanding a movie! Yes we see that it's selling gum, but it also selling a really fun idea. 

I couldn't find the one I was looking for, but this is similar to the ad we talked about with the post-it love story:)"







3 comments:

  1. Katherine,
    Its a shame that the local newspaper did that after such a traumatic experience. I personally believe that unless one is tried as an adult, their name shouldn't be reported unless permitted by the family. A false report or an article at an inopportune time can seriously affect a family's emotions in bad ways, not to mention their future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rex! The newspaper I feel went too far. I had no idea about your loss I'm sure that was a very difficult thing for you to go through and I'm sorry you had to go through all that in the first place..

    ReplyDelete

  3. Kate, this post stood out to me because I go on traumatic calls and accidents every week. I have had to stand there and give out information and withhold information to reporters. I beilive and agree that the newspaper went to far but, the blame cant stop there. As a fireman we are only supposed to give vital and personal information to the paramedics trying to help and the Police that are writing the report. If we are asked by a reporter any questions before talking to the family we are supposed to be respectful and give out vague information such as gender and the cause of an accident.
    This link some YouTube channel made as a joke but it's pretty accurate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyfupexL_I

    ReplyDelete